J. D. BIRLA INSTITUTE

J.D. Birla Institute, Kolkata is a private unaided College affiliated to Jadavpur University, Kolkata since 1963. It is conveniently located in the heart of the city at 11 Lower Rawdon Street, Kolkata-700020 (near Minto Park).

The late Sushila Devi Birla, wife of eminent industrialist late L. N. Birla established a college for girls in her mother-in-law’s name in June 1962. The College was named Smt. Jawahari Devi Birla Institute of Home Science and it filled a much felt gap in the scientific education of young women from Calcutta’s conservative families.

Over five decades, the Institute has grown with the needs and demands of the changing times. A Department of Commerce was added in 1997 and in tune with the shifting zeitgeist; another campus was started in 2002 to house the co-educational Department of Management. At this time, the name of the institution was simplified to J. D. Birla Institute. In the year 2009, four new professionally oriented under-graduate courses were introduced apart from two new post-graduate courses. M.Com was introduced in 2013. Also the B.Com (Hons) course was revised and upgraded in 2016. Currently the college has about 1700 students.

AWARDED ‘A’ GRADE BY NAAC (IN 2010)


J.D Birla Institute has volunteered to obtain the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) rating since 2004. During the recent re-accreditation procedure in2010, the NAAC peer team awarded the Institute with ‘A’ Grade (CGPA – 3.11), the highest possible grade, highlighting the Institute’s constant quest for self-improvement and excellence. Currently we are preparing for its third cycle of assessment.

Website Design By : Magic Nines

All contents © copyright 2012 All rights reserved.